100 Francos Institut d´emission de L´A.O.F et du Togo type 1956
The big Banque d'Indochine and other major French banks had declined this involvment. But the French government was very eager to expand its own political interests and the director of the Asian department of the Foreign Office, Philippe Berthelot, was actually a little too involved as initiator. He was assisted by his brother André. A. J. Pernotte became Chief Director of the bank. The headquarters were in Paris at 74 rue Saint-Lazare (building preserved) with branches in Peking, Shanghai, Tientsin, Hong Kong, Saïgon, Haïphong, Yunnan Fou (Kunming), Canton and Foochow. It also had offices in Japan, Singapore, Siberia, United States, France, Belgium and England. All in all they were 25. Part of the members of a local executive committee in Peking were appointed by the Chinese government. The bank raised 600 million Francs intended for the Canton–Chungking railway (not built then), and issued its own banknotes, etc.